You can exercise all you want, but if you don't mind what you eat, you could start packing on the pounds. Since knowledge is power, over the past year I've broken down many types of foods to reveal the calorie, saturated fat, and sodium content. Since I am interested in the healthy stuff too, I often included which foods offer the most fiber, protein, and calcium. Take a look at my favorite food breakdowns below.
For six more food breakdowns, keep reading.
What a year it's been for Life Time Fitness! Even though it barely received any votes last year, it's your favorite gym of 2009. You love that it has tons of great equipment, loads of classes, and it's always clean. It also helps that it's open 24 hours for late night and early morning workouts, and that the staff is friendly and helpful too.
Besides a fitness facility, Life Time offers spa services, family and kid oriented programs, and has a ton of sport programs, including rock climbing, basketball, and triathlon training.
There's not a Life Time Fitness center by me, but I'm checking it out if my travels ever bring me near one.
One of the best things about FitSugar is you, our active community. We love it when you share with us! And whether it be an inspiring story, health advice, or your take on a new fitness class, keep those comments coming!
This year, we asked you to chime in on a lot of questions — "How do you relax after a workout?" and "What food do you insist be organic?" were just a few. Here's some of the most popular questions we asked this year, with a roundup of your answers.
Sometimes it's hard to know what to get that special someone for the holidays. In those cases, gift cards are a great option and can make great stocking stuffers. You'll feel good knowing your gift is inspiring a healthy lifestyle, and the receiver will be able to choose whatever she wants. Here are some ideas.
- Lululemon: Great athletic gear that's feminine and long-lasting.
- Amazon: Good deals on so much — fitness clothes, resistance bands, yoga balls, dumbbells, fitness DVDs, books, and even energy bars.
- iTunes: The recipient can buy individual songs or albums to listen to when working out.
- The North Face: A leader in outdoor clothing, this brand also sells gear such as tents, backpacks, sleeping bags, and anything you'd need for an outdoor adventure.
- REI: Perfect for everything including clothes, outdoor gear, gifts for active pets, and neat gadgets such as heart rate monitors and GPS units.
- Nike: Great sneakers, clothes, and equipment for any active person.
- Patagonia: Outstanding technical clothes, from wicking underwear and warm Capilene tops to windproof fleece jackets.
- Whole Foods: Who doesn't need delicious organic food, supplements, or natural beauty products?
- EMS: The recipient can choose between outdoor clothes, shoes, climbing and camping gear, skis, and much more.
To acknowledge the fact that 2009 is coming to an end, I've asked you to share your opinions about your favorite things of the past year, such as your favorite brand of sneakers, the best workout song, and which female celeb has the fittest body. I know you have a lot more to share, so tell me, which healthy magazine tops your list?
Looking to rev up your workout? Borrow some techniques and tips from fit celebs like Renée Zellweger, Sandra Bullock, and more. These ladies have worked hard this past year sweating it out to achieve their impressive physiques, and their trainers have happily shared what they do to stay fit.
Sprinter Marion Jones has certainly been on a wild run this decade: winning gold in the Sydney games in 2000, posing in red sequins on the cover of Vogue, then admitting to steroid use and serving a six-month prison term for perjury.
The 34-year-old mother of of three is starting a new chapter in her sports career: Marion Jones is aiming to play some hoops in the WNBA. She told the New York Times that she plans to play basketball in Europe this Winter and hopes to play professionally in the women's wing of the NBA next season.
To learn more about Marion's shot at redemption, continue reading.
We all know that fitness doesn't really begin at the computer and that's the reason we created strength training, yoga, and cardio workouts for you to print and use in your life away from your PC or Mac. Check out these workouts, then download, and print them. I suggest handing them on your fridge for motivation or storing them in your gym bag.
- David Kirsch's Boot Camp Circuit Workout: Celebrity trainer David Kirsch trains Anne Hathaway and now you! Print out his killer circuit workout to keep your fitness level up, way up, during the holidays.
- Total Body Yoga Flow: Here's a nine-posture series that will work your legs, core, and upper body. The poses flow from one to the next while is challenging every muscle.
- Glutes and Hamstrings Workout: These nine moves focus on toning your backside. This workout helps you kick your own booty into action, both literally and figuratively.
- All-Abs Workout: Looking to tone your middle? Here are nine exercises to work all four layers of your abdominal muscles, helping to tone and sculpt your middle.
- Elliptical Workouts: Banish elliptical boredom by changing up your routine. Here are four workouts to spice up your cardio time.
- Treadmill Workouts: If Winter has you running inside, don't fret. Here are four running workouts to keep you engaged on the treadmill.
- Full-Body Circuit: With a set of dumbbells and this circuit workout, you can work your entire body while working up a sweat.
- Lower-Body Yoga Sequence: Get your legs mountain ready with this yoga sequence. The nine poses focus on the lower half of your body — be prepared to feel your quads burn.
I usually choose sneakers based on fit, style, and price, but my heart remains true to a few brands I fell in love with when I first started running, including New Balance, Nike, and Saucony. If you had to choose just one brand of sneaker, which would be your fave?
While they might be fun to look at, the dedication these men put into staying in shape this year was impressive. While some worked out like crazy beefing up for a movie role, others were seen biking, running, or working out at the gym on the regular. We know that there's an athlete on the list, but we think you'd agree that he's reached superstar status beyond the field.
Who do you think deserves the title of fittest male celeb of 2009?